Thursday, April 23, 2009

THE HEALING POWER OF MUSIC, SINGING, AND HUMMING

As a medical physician for over 50 years, I strive to give you the best medical information on controversial medical subjects and let you, the reader, come to your own conclusions. I have no ties to any organization, pharmaceutical, or lobby group. As an practicing medical acupuncturist since 1982, I find western medicine and medical acupuncture are very complimentary that results in astounding healing in pain management, addictions to cigarettes and food, and a host of other maladies. Let me know how we are doing. Your constructive comments are always appreciated. Check out why we are ranked#40 out of over 54 million medical blogs, and in the top 5o out of 15 million acupuncture sites. 
Visit http;//www.americanacupuncture.com or www.drneedles.com for more detailed information on healing.

HEALING POWER OF SOUND AND MUSIC

I Pods have taken over America.  Our nation is starving for emotional and spiritual healing.  Add singing and humming to your music and restore the disharmony caused by our rapid technological pace of living.

What happens to you emotionally and spiritually affect you physiologically.  Sounds are a form of energy, and can promote healing.  Music, song, and dance are all linked together, restoring harmony into your body and spirit.

The law of vibration affects your thoughts and feelings. All creation harmonizes  the universe in  a continuous state of vibration; with molecules vibrating, and plants and humans oscillating in rhythm, resonating with each other.   Your entire cosmos is an ocean of sonic waves of vibration.

Your heart, pulse, and lungs are constantly working in rhythm. The sounds you make resonate at a cellular level with your body. The most fundamental aspect of life itself. Is breathing. 

Around 560 B.C, Pythagoras a Greek philosopher and mathematician, created the musical scales; he is considered the grandfather of sound music.  Pythagoras was the first to use music for physical and emotional healing, stating that each atom makes a particular sound because of its movement, rhythm and vibration. Creation began with the spoken word and uses sound to communicate and express itself. Your imagination lets you constantly create and interpret all of nature.

ILLNESS AND HEALING

All illness is a form of disharmony at both molecular and genetic levels. Often you emotionally refuse to acknowledge your illness and find accepting healing to be difficult.  You feel out of synch and out of touch with someone when both of you are not on the same wavelength.  Physical illness is similar to a piano out of tune.  Any disharmony in one system is reflected in the other.

Your genes, proteins, and receptors govern at the cellular level, every biological action.   All your thoughts, feelings, hormonal changes, immune changes, and energy are coordinated biologically and constantly communicate with each other. 

By restoring the normal vibration frequency of the diseased part of the body, your body can return to its harmonious state. To make you a unified organism, your mind and body must be fine tuned to recognize the vibration sounds of all your cells and organs, resulting in a homeostatic balance of all your biological systems.

Vibrational sounds touch every part and every cell of your body.  Your pulse rate slows, and your breathing again becomes rhythmic. The harmony of your body’s cosmic symphony restores the imbalance in the cells and organs of your disease body.

THE HEALING POWER OF MUSIC

Music is a powerful form of energy since the beginning of time. Every religion has more prayers sung than spoken, intensifying the connection with the divine power.  While doing other things you listen to music for pleasure and relaxation.  It is the universal language for all of us. You may not understand the language, but you sure hear and feel it.

 Sounds cause feelings in you.  It relaxes, inspires, and enlivens you.   Your awareness Music therapy has evolved showing that is raised to a place of emotion and feeling. 

When you know and feel you are intimately connected with the universe, music can heal you.  Listening to music you really love is relaxing, nurturing, uplifting, invigorating, and deeply healing.  Music that speaks to you ,sparks your imagination, making you feel stimulated and alive.

Your fast pace of living, has separated you from your natural state of being.  Ancient healers knew that music bridged the body, soul, and earth.  The life force of your body is your vibratory field of energy. 

 Melody, harmony, rhythm, and tone connect your whole being into a living body of sound.  Music, like food, is alive, and affects you physically, mentally and emotionally.

Music is a powerful healing tool that opens your spirit and heals without that intention.  When you open up, relax, let go, and pay attention, beautiful music will arouse a strong healing feeling in you.

SINGING

 You may not carry a tune nor have much rhythm, but when you listen to your heart, and feel your breathing in and out, you will   know you are in rhythm.  Open your mind and heart, sing your simple tune privately, and feel the music energize and heal you.

Singing came before speech.  You only need lungs and vocal cords to make sounds.  When you speak you also need a mouth and a tongue. Your throat is a physical bridge between your head and heart.  Just like deep breathing with yoga slows your heart and pulse, a simple melody with a repetitious beat can energize your entire nervous system.

CHANTING OF VOWELS 

Chanting synchronizes the brain into a state of relaxation.  Its vibrational sounds touch every cell in your body.  Chanting turns on your internal opiates that heal your body.  Low deep notes with low frequency sounds, used in religious rituals, can change your state of consciousness, making you calm and relaxed.

Mozart musical therapy is used to treat autism, learning disabilities, hearing handicaps, and neuralgic and psychiatric disorders.  The music of Mozart can warm up your brain, making your mind more alert and energized.

Sound and breath are one, promoting health and healing.  When you chant vowels, your harmonic sounds become charged with higher energy and more vibrations.  Monks, for centuries, have awakened their conscious fields and been energized by chanting.   Their simple melodious lines, with emphasis on long, slow breaths, serve as their energy food. 

Your ear never stops hearing.  It has an extra relay, not affected by anesthetics.  As early as 4 months, a fetal ear hears low frequency sounds.   The ear’s receiving antenna registers everything.   Autistic children are helped with musical sounds that awaken their intrauterine stage of development.

CONCLUSION

Try to discover your voice and sing, as you walk, drive your car, or take a shower.  Hear the sound of your own unique harmonious voice.   Write your own private and personal song.   Play with different sounds in various sequences till you find one that resonates with you.

One example would be: “At her blue home, mom is humming and holding her knee.”   All the primitive sounds are included in that sentence. 

Sing:  Hum the tune: Twinkle, twinkle, little star”, and see how it resonates the child in you.   Use your I Pod and hum the song’s melody.  Music, singing, and humming are all food for the body as well as the soul.

Visit www.drneedles.com for more blogging on controversial medical subjects.  Your comments are always appreciated.

Source: Gaynor, author; The Healing  Power of Sound


3 comments:

Tripwellgal said...

Hello Doctor,
I love your wise words about the healing effect of sound. Often when I'm in the car, I'll tone to release stress or to fight fatigue. There's nothing as fun as singing along to a favorite song, so I'd add that happiness is another key to health and if music, singing, chanting helps achieve that so much the better. Namaste, Elaine Masters www.DrivetimeYoga.com

Mindcloudtkd said...

I can definitely say that I've experienced first hand. I'm not exactly the next American Idol but I do my share of singing while driving in my car. I can definitely say when certain songs come on it can definitely change the way I feel or even the mood I'm in at that particular moment. And as you said, your emotional (mood) and feeling can definitely effect your physiology. I actually try to use this to my advantage. I lift weights three times a week which I have a particular playlist which I've dubbed workout music which is more upbeat and exciting music to try to put me in a more energized mood. It definitely works because certain songs will come on and I'll find myself lifting harder or running faster. This actually has gotten me into trouble on my bike and snowboard because I tend to get a little over excited and try things that I prolly shouldn't without a helmet which I haven't purchased yet. Knock on wood... I haven't hurt myself yet and I hope to keep it that way. And I know I should get a helmet. I work in healthcare so I see these kinds of things in my ER all the time. Well, at any rate, I still plan to do these activities in my life and all the same I will always have some kind of music in my ears to keep me in harmony with myself and what I'm doing. Thanks for the education and insight.

Mindcloudtkd said...

Dr. Needles, I must say I've experienced this first hand. I love to listen to music as much as I can and I can definitely say it has different effects on my depending on what type of music I'm listening too. I actually lift weights three days a week and I've programed a playlisted dubbed workout music that I've uploaded on my IPod for the sole purpose to motive me when I lift. I picked certain tracks that are upbeat and faster paced to energize me to workout harder. I've noticed that when certain songs come on they tend to affect me differently so one song will make me lift harder or run faster then others do. Or when I'm tired, they will insight a new found energy to make me recover faster in between sets. So in other words, I try to take advantage of how music effects me by promoting what I'm doing. This can be bad sometimes because music can get me a little extra excited which sometimes I try to do things I prolly shouldn't on my bike or snowboard without a helmet which I've yet to purchase. I know... I know... I'm getting one. At any rate, I still plan to do these types of activities and all the same, continue to listen to my music when doing them. Thanks for the education and insight.

Labels